An EDC bag (or everyday carry bag) is a bag you will take with you every day. Don’t confuse an EDC bag with a get-home or bug-out bag; all three serve different purposes, even though they may contain many of the same items.
The best EDC bag is large enough to fit all the tools and items you’d want for an emergency without paying attention to the fact that you’re carrying that extra gear.
Please keep reading to find out what EDC bags I recommend and why.
The best EDC bag will fit into your normal day-to-day surroundings. You may even want several different bags and backpacks to do the job.
As an example, you may want a briefcase for the day-to-day office grind and a gym bag with a little more room in it for your evening workouts what you choose as your EDC bag doesn’t matter as long as it fits your surroundings and has enough room to carry the essential EDC items.
What to Consider Before Choosing an EDC Bag
Keep these general recommendations in mind when choosing the best EDC bag for you:
Your EDC bag should be lightweight but well-made. This is going to go with you every day.
Try choosing subdued colors for your EDC bag, but avoid camo patterns and “tactical” designs.
Make sure your EDC bag is large enough to fit everything you want to carry daily but not so large that it attracts attention.
Your EDC bag should be typical of bags that others carry in your area.
Ensure several pockets and pouches in your EDC bag to compartmentalize and secure your gear.
These recommendations are by no means an all-inclusive list! If you don’t like what we have listed here, hundreds of other bags are perfectly suitable for use as an EDC bag. These are just the ones we like and feel would serve you well.
You’ll notice that we recommend many purpose-built EDC bags, but not as our main recommendation. This is because purpose-built EDC bags do the job very well, but they will also probably draw more scrutiny from people that know that they may contain things like hidden compartments for firearms. This is especially true of trained personnel like the police and military.
- Versatile pack for work or school includes a 15-Inch laptop sleeve and tablet space
- Made of durable 1200D poly with rain Defender water repellent Plus duravax abrasion-resistant base
- Zippered exterior organization compartment for keys, pens and other small items; mesh side pockets
- Contour fit padded shoulder straps with daisy chains, and padded air mesh back panel
- Measures 12w x 18h x 11d inches; weighs 1.4 pounds
Vertx EDC Gamut Bag – Purpose-built as a covert EDC bag. It features a built-in holster and magazine pouch in a well-concealed pocket.
5.11 56319 Havoc 30 Backpack – The Havoc 30 has pockets for both hard and soft body armor, durable construction, and would be at home in most scenarios. It also has some MOLLE on the outside that isn’t overly obvious but will allow you to attach various gear to it.
EDC Messenger Bag
5.11 Rush Delivery Multifunction Messenger Bag – Comes in a wide variety of colors, is sturdily built, and has a purpose-built pistol pocket. This would be our number 1 choice for the best EDC bag if the 5.11 name weren’t an instant giveaway that it’s a piece of tactical gear.
Vertx EDC Courier Bag – Lightweight material with a built-in pistol pocket that gives you quick access to your firearm. Again, the Vertx name gives it away as a purpose-made EDC bag.
EDC Laptop Case
- Dimensions: 18.8 x 5.1 x 13.7 inches; Fits up to 17.3 inches laptop. Still more room for you to keep...
- Three carrying styles. You could use it as backpack shoulder bag and messenger bag. Also the straps...
- Four outside pockets, convenient to organize your items you want to carry, Just forget the pain...
- Roomy laptop compartment and accessory compartment.Special design laptop compartment with Telescopic...
- Lightweight design is easy for carrying. The top grab handle offers quick grab-and-go style....
Dell Professional Briefcase 15 – Nothing says I’m just a laptop than a Dell laptop case. This case is surprisingly well organized inside and would never attract a second look.
AmazonBasics 17.3-Inch Laptop Bag – This is a cheaper version of the Dell with an outside pocket that would be perfect for concealing a pistol and a few magazines.
EDC Sling Bag
- UA Storm technology repels water without sacrificing breathability
- Soft lined laptop sleeve—holds up to 15" MacBook Pro or similarly sized laptop
- Adjustable, padded, HeatGear crossbody strap for total comfort
- Water resistant UA Storm valuables pocket
- Front zip organization pocket
5.11 Tactical PUSH Pack – This 5.11 sling bag is perfect for carrying all your EDC items, but it won’t fit things like a laptop or a larger tablet. It does have an easy-to-access pistol pocket.
Vertx EDC Commuter Bag – This Vertx bag has everything you could want in an EDC sling bag. It has a large pistol pocket that can easily hold a full-sized pistol and several magazines. The downside is it’s expensive, and the Vertx name screams I have a gun.
EDC Camera Bag
- Bag fits two smaller SLR camera bodies, 3-4 lenses, and additional small accessories
- Constructed of waterproofed polyester and nylon
- Water repellant and urethane coated for extra durability
- Padded divider system for on-the-go organization; includes tripod straps on pack bottom
- Lightweight, with padded shoulder straps and back for comfortable use
AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag – This is a great all-around bag with many uses! I don’t know that I’d carry it every day, which makes it less appealing, but if you carry a camera or want to appear as you do, this is worth checking out.
AmazonBasics Backpack for SLR/DSLR – This slightly smaller camera backpack still has a host of attachment points on the outside.
EDC Belt Pouch or Fanny Pack
It’s hard to find specific items in this category to recommend. Wearing a fanny pack sticks out in most places as they aren’t all that popular.
The main things to remember when choosing the best EDC bag for you is to keep it subtle and ensure you can carry everything you need. A flashy bag that draws attention isn’t a good idea.
Also, remember that if you’re trying to choose the best EDC bag from tactical gear manufacturers, you’re likely to attract attention from trained personnel and other preppers. This isn’t necessarily bad, but it can be in certain situations.